Schools to Watch™ - Taking Center Stage Application Process
Interested in applying to become a 2013 School to Watch™-Taking Center Stage (STW-TCS)?
NOTE: The delay in AYP or API information should not deter you from applying to become a Schools to Watch--Taking Center Stage model school. Base your school's eligibility on having met all subgroup/schoolwide growth targets in three out of the five-year period between 2006-2010.
1. Application Steps - read this first!
2. Application Request (available soon)
3. Application, Selection and Responsibility Timeline
1. Download and review the Principal's Checklist to see if your school is ready to be a model for others. STW-TCS is a statewide program that identifies high-performing middle schools willing to serve as models and provide mentorship to other middle schools with similar student populations and challenges.
STW-TCS schools are not perfect, but they are on a trajectory toward excellence and have a passion for sharing what works at their sites. Schools should only apply if site-level administrators will embrace the mentorship role and willingly advise staff from other schools who will call, visit or email.
2. If the Principal's Checklist shows you are not quite ready, download the School Self-Study and Rating Rubric (PDF), look at the virtual School Profiles on this site, and arrange to visit a School to Watch-Taking Center Stage in person. Get started with your staff on the road to collaborative, continuous improvement. We encourage you to apply in the future.
3. If you believe your school is meeting or exceeding the needs of all your students, plus meeting or exceeding all the criteria listed on the School Self-Study and Rating Rubric (PDF), we encourage you to apply for 2013.
The School Self-Study and Rating Rubric (SSRR) is a school-wide process and should involve the entire staff. A staff application team must complete the full application, including the written narrative. Applications prepared by external grantwriters or paid consultants will not be accepted.
For best results, many Schools to Watch™-Taking Center Stage principals recommend identifying your application team and starting the collaborative SSRR process early, as applications must be received at the CLMS office by 5:00 pm PST, Wednesday, October 3, 2012, no exceptions.
2012-13 Application, Selection and Responsibility Timeline
October 3, 2012 - Applications Due - Confirmation of receipt of application sent via e-mail.
November 1, 2012 - All schools informed of the status of their application - Some schools will be scheduled for visitations in November through December. Schools not scheduled for visitation will receive guidance for later re-submission.
January, 2013 - Announcement of 2013 STW -TCS schools.
June, 2013 - Selected schools featured at the National Schools to Watch Conference in Washington, D.C.
Can't open the PDF? Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader software here.